Trusted Minneapolis Family Law Attorneys
When fighting for your future, you want an attorney to provide you passionate and powerful counsel during your family law dispute. At the Minneapolis law offices of Burns & Hansen, P.A., we handle a wide range of family law and divorce concerns for clients throughout the greater Twin Cities area. Regardless of the issue, we will protect your rights as we help you plan for a better future.
If you think you do not need legal counsel because you believe your case will mediate or settle quickly, think again. You never know what can happen in your case. If you want the most favorable result in your dissolution, you have to have an attorney who is going to prepare for your case as if it is going to trial. That way you are prepared on all fronts and ready no matter what happens.
To schedule a consultation, please call us in Minneapolis at 952-219-7897 or complete our contact form.
Helping People Find A Path To A New Beginning
Every lawyer handles family law issues differently. We will help you understand your rights and options here in Minnesota.
- Divorce: There are a lot of things to keep straight in a divorce. We will make sure you keep your long-term goals in mind regarding your family and finances.
- Complex divorce: Not all divorces are the same. If your divorce involves high assets, debts or a family business, we can help you manage these complex issues.
- Division of assets and debt: Every divorce is different, and there is no cookie-cutter approach to resolving difficult issues. We will take a close look at your finances and help you understand what to expect.
- Spousal maintenance: The hardest issue to resolve in Minnesota family law is spousal maintenance and support. Regardless of what you may believe, there are no guarantees when it comes to alimony.
- Child support: While it is mandatory, based on time and income, there are still opportunities for creative solutions when it comes to child support.
- Child support enforcement and modification: If your child support plan is not working, we can help you with enforcement actions or seek an appropriate modification.
- Child custody and visitation: We will help you put together a specific plan that works in the best interests of your children.
- Modification of custody and parenting time: Child custody and visitation plans do not always work as planned. We can help you adjust your plan to meet your family’s needs.
- Post-decree relief and appeals: Judges make mistakes in family law court as well. Our attorneys work with clients to develop effective family law appeals.
- Emergency family law situations: When an emergency situation comes up for your family, we have the experience and resources to provide you with the counsel you need.
- Paternity: If you are involved in a paternity dispute of any sort, we will help you find answers and solutions, whatever the results may be.
About Minnesota Family Law
In the Twin Cities, the vast majority, over 90%, of family law cases are settled before the parties ever get to court. In fact, many couples have nearly all the issues worked out for an uncontested divorce before they ever call a Minneapolis family law attorney.
At Burns & Hansen, P.A., we realize that in most cases the last thing a couple wants to do is waste their resources on huge court battles. We agree with them.
Cost-Effective Strategies And Creative Solutions For Legal Problems
- Child support: Minnesota child support guidelines are set so that divorcing couples can plug their incomes and amount of time the children spend with each parent into a formula. However, sometimes disputes arise over what is the payer’s actual income. If you are having trouble agreeing on the right amount of child support, contact our Minneapolis office for assistance.
- Property division: Equitable division or equitable distribution of marital assets can be an amorphous term. If you are wondering what the family law court would do in your case, contact us for an assessment of your complete financial picture.
- Spousal support: Numerous factors go into the computation regarding whether a spouse will receive alimony or spousal maintenance on a permanent, temporary or rehabilitative basis. If you are wondering if you will receive an award for support or if you will have to pay your spouse, we can help you understand the law.
We also draft prenuptial (also called antenuptial) agreements. We advise everyone to have a prenup drafted prior to a second marriage. It’s not a bad idea even before a first marriage if children from other relationships or major individual property are involved.
It is difficult, though, for starry-eyed young people to envision the failure of their marriage. Our clients who are marrying for the second time, however, often realize they need an exit strategy just in case things fall apart. They tell us that they wish they had realized before their first marriage how important it is to have a premarital agreement in the event of a disaster in the relationship. If you are getting married, contact our office or call 952-219-7897 to discuss Minnesota law regarding premarital agreements.
A Proven Approach To Family Law Litigation
At Burns & Hansen, P.A., we represent individuals in family law litigation across the Twin Cities and Greater Minnesota. If you are going through a difficult divorce or are involved in a child custody dispute, we can help you find solutions that are tailored to the needs of your family. We can help you deal with the short-term and long-term consequences in family law litigation.
For the best possible result in your family law case, you want an attorney who is going to prepare as if you are going to trial. Do not just assume you will not need litigation counsel. You never know what will happen or what unforeseen situation could be thrown your way. That is why it is imperative your lawyer is experienced in family law litigation.
It is our job to guide our clients through the process of family law litigation. Our firm will look at your circumstances and the challenges you face, answer any questions that you have and help you understand your options. The process of divorce, custody and other family law issues are rarely easy, but our firm can help you find a fresh financial beginning.
Experienced Divorce Lawyers Serving Minneapolis
Our family law litigation covers matters that include:
- High net worth divorce
- Division of assets and debts
- Child support
- Child custody
- Spousal maintenance
- Enforcement and modification of family law issues
By taking a look at your situation, including your financial issues, our lawyers can help you come up with a plan that meets your immediate needs and long-term goals. From child custody and visitation to child support and alimony, we will make sure you come up with a plan that protects your rights. We handle family court cases across the state of Minnesota, including appeals.
Reach Out To Us Today: Divorce And Family Law Lawyers
From our offices in Minneapolis, we provide honest answers and creative family law solutions for clients throughout the greater Twin Cities area. Call our firm today at 952-219-7897 or email us for a free initial discussion.