Estate Planning And Probate Services
An estate plan is a set of documents that protects your interests and your loved ones in the event of your death or a debilitating condition. Without at least a basic will, family members would be faced with difficult decisions, and the state of Minnesota would determine who inherits your property.
At Burns & Hansen, P.A., our individualized estate planning services put your wishes in writing to provide for your care and avoid unnecessary disputes or delays in settling your estate. We also handle estate administration. We serve clients in Minneapolis, across the Twin Cities and beyond. Contact us today for a free initial discussion. Call 952-232-5991.
Why Everyone Should Have An Estate Plan
Estate planning is not only for “wealthy” people or “old” people. Our clients are individuals and families of all walks of life and all stages of life. If you are getting married, getting divorced, bringing a child into the family, buying a new home or retiring, you should create or update your estate plan. If you own a small business, we can ensure your business succession planning dovetails with your estate planning. We often answer questions about estate planning topics.
The full extent of our estate planning and probate practice includes:
- Wills and trusts: Ensure your primary assets go to the proper beneficiaries. The right trust can help your family avoid probate or minimize estate taxes.
- Power of attorney: Choose someone you trust to make important business or financial decisions should you ever be unable to make them yourself.
- Health care directives: Assign someone to make important medical, health and end-of-life decisions on your behalf, should you become incapacitated.
- Guardianships: Gain supervision of a loved one who may be unable to care for themselves.
- Conservatorships: Appoint a conservator to manage the health care and finances of a struggling loved one.
- Estate administration and probate: Administer your loved one’s estate and resolve any outstanding issues in the estate and among the family.
Our estate planning attorneys sit down with you to ask gentle questions about a wide range of scenarios: Who should inherit what? Who would be guardians to your minor children if you and your spouse died? Who do you trust to handle your affairs if you are incapacitated? Would you want heroic life support measures?
Estate Administration And Probate Disputes
If you are appointed as the executor/personal representative for a loved one who has passed away, our firm provides reasonable rates to help settle the estate. We can offer legal advice as you carry out the duties, or we can take on the burdens for you. Our lawyers have handled large, complex estates as well as modest estates not subject to the formal probate process. We welcome inquiries from out-of-state executors needing local counsel.
We also represent beneficiaries or excluded heirs in will contests over the validity of the deceased’s will or the distribution of certain assets. We understand that these unfortunate disputes can tear families apart. We are skilled in negotiating settlements but also skilled trial lawyers who can vigorously assert your interests in court if necessary.