- Commercial Litigation
- Construction & Mechanic's Liens
- Business and Corporate
Barton C. Gernander practices in the areas of civil and commercial litigation, with a focus in construction and real estate issues.
In addition to representing business clients involved in standard and complex litigation in both state and federal courts, he serves emerging and mid-size companies in a general counsel capacity - assisting clients on achieving business solutions while minimizing exposure to liability.
Gernander is licensed to practice law in the state and federal courts in Minnesota, the United States Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
He serves on the Minnesota State Bar Association Court Rules and Administration Committee, the Hennepin County Bar Fourth District Ethics Committee, and is also a member of the Federal Bar Association.
Gernander obtained his Juris Doctorate degree from the University of Minnesota Law School in Minneapolis, Minnesota. He obtained a Bachelors of Arts Degree in Philosophy, with Honors, from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 2006, Gernander was named a "Rising Star" in the legal profession by Minnesota Law & Politics.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 1996
- University of Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1992
- Honors: With Honors
- Minnesota, 1996
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 1998
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 1999
- New Laws that Impact Engineers, Engineering Minnesota, July, 2008
- Milsap vs. Special School Dist. No. 1, 1999 WL 391859, 1999, Minn. Ct. of Appeals
- Grudnoske vs. Determan Welding, 1999 WL 690194, 1999, Minn. Ct. of Appeals
- Equus Computer Systems, Inc. vs. Northern Comp. Systems, Inc., 2001 WL 1636487, 2001, U.S. District Court, Dist. of Minnesota
- Anderson vs. Spreiter, et al., 2008 WL 4287386, 2008, U.S. District Court, Dist. of Minnesota
- Maxwell vs. Winge Construction Services, Inc., 2009 WL 1751556, 2009, Minn. Ct. of Appeals
- Rising Star, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2006
Classes & Seminars
- Construction Lien Law, Lorman Business Center, Inc., May 6, 2009
- “You Love it, You Hate it. Now You Have to Live With it: E-Discovery,” William Mitchell College of Law, October 4, 2013
- Change Orders in Minnesota, Lorman Business Center, Inc., May 8, 2014
- Businesses and Business Owners
- Contractors and Construction Companies
- Hellmuth & Johnson, PLLC, Attorney & Partner, 2005 to 2009
- Minnesota State Bar Association Court Rules and Administration Committee, Member, 2007 to 2010
- Fourth District (Hennepin County) Ethics Committee, Member, 2006
- American Collectors Association - Member Attorney Program, Member
- Minnesota Asphalt Pavement Association