Elizabeth M. Cadem
- Family Law
- Civil Litigation
- Child Support
Elizabeth Cadem is a partner at Burns & Hansen, Her practice centers on family law and appeals. She is dedicated to providing personalized, effective representation to her clients. An experienced advocate, Elizabeth focuses on achieving the best outcome for each of her clients, both in and out of the courtroom. Her clients appreciate her keen attention to detail, her strong writing skills, and the depth of her legal knowledge.
Elizabeth provides excellent counsel in all aspects of family law, including property division, custody and parenting time, child support and child support modification, spousal maintenance and modification, nonmarital tracing, and post-decree matters. Her extensive appellate experience includes family and civil appeals in a wide variety of areas, such as real estate, business, employment, and financial disputes.
Prior to joining Burns & Hansen, P.A., Elizabeth served as a judicial law clerk in Minnesota's Seventh Judicial District and at the Minnesota Court of Appeals. In these positions, she became adept at efficiently researching, analyzing and writing about nearly every area of substantive and procedural law. She also gained a valuable understanding of the judicial decision-making process.
Elizabeth currently serves on the Minnesota State Bar Association Appellate Section Council, including the Amicus and the Pro Bono/Self-Help Committees. She regularly volunteers at the Appeals Self-Help Clinic, a joint initiative of the Appellate Practice Section and the Minnesota State Law Library. Recently, she and another attorney submitted a response brief to the Minnesota Supreme Court as designees by the Minnesota State Bar Association, pursuant to an appointment by the Supreme Court.
In her spare time, Elizabeth enjoys spending time with family and friends, reading, running, traveling, and the arts.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 2005
- Honors: cum laude
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, Minnesota
- B.A. - 2002
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Major: Economics and English
- Minnesota, 2005
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2016
- Matter of Application No. 2020-006782, Conditional Use Permit, A21-0383, 2022 WL 274252 (Minn. App. Jan. 31, 2022), review denied (Apr. 27, 2022)
- R.P. Air, Inc. v. Great Gulf Corp., A20-0721, 2021 WL 957322 (Minn. App. Mar. 15, 2021)
- St. Paul Park Refining Co. LLC v. Domeier, 950 N.W.2d 547 (Minn. 2020)
- Matter of Tillman Infrastructure LLC, A19-1824, 2020 WL 4432034, at *2 (Minn. App. Aug. 3, 2020)
- Raghavan v. Antony, A17-1575, 2018 WL 5316191 (Minn. App. Oct. 29, 2018)
- Olson v. Olson, A17-1499, 2018 WL 3014673 (Minn. App. June 18, 2018)
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association Appellate Section Council
Pro Bono Activities
- Appeals Self-Help Clinic, Minnesota State Bar Association Appellate Practice Section and Minnesota State Law Library
Classes and Seminars
- Civil appeals A-to-Z: Perfecting the Appeal of Filing a Writ, 2022
- Maximizing Your Changes of Success in Family Law Appeals, 2022