- Civil Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Real Estate
Erik Hansen practices chiefly in civil litigation, business litigation, real estate, and appeals. He has been listed by Minnesota Law & Politics magazine as a Super Lawyer or a Rising Star each year since 2006. In 2016 he was named Attorney of the Year by Minnesota Lawyer. In 2008, Mr. Hansen was appointed to the Minnesota Supreme Court Advisory Committee on the Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure, and reappointed in 2009, 2013, and 2018.
Mr. Hansen is employed as the managing partner of Burns & Hansen, P.A.. An appellate attorney and litigator known for his concise and direct style of advocacy, Mr. Hansen practices in state and federal courts at all levels.
Mr. Hansen brings a broad range of experience to his appellate practice, handling a variety of cases including commercial matters, civil appeals, and civil litigation issues.
In addition to his appellate work, Mr. Hansen maintains an active civil litigation practice focusing on business litigation and real estate matters. With his experience at all levels of the legal system, he knows the value of thoroughly preparing a case, whether it is the initial stage of an investigation, going to mediation, starting trial, or on appeal.
Mr. Hansen is a graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School and University of Minnesota Morris where he majored in political science and European studies. An active member of the Minnesota State Bar Association, he has served on the Membership Committee (Chair, 2005-2007) the Publications Committee, and the Governing Council of the Appellate Law Section (Chair, 2014-2018). He was also a Legal Writing Instructor at the University of Minnesota Law School. Mr. Hansen participates as a mentor in the University of St. Thomas Law School Mentor Program (2006 - present).
In addition to being named Attorney of the Year and Super Lawyer, Mr. Hansen was named a 2006 Up & Coming Attorney by Minnesota Lawyer. Mr. Hansen was named a North Star in 2013-2015.
Outside of the practice of law Mr. Hansen is a board member for Rethos, a preservation and community development non-profit organization. He is also active in youth sports, coaching both soccer and track.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 05/2000
- Honors: Dean's List
- University of Minnesota - Morris, Morris, Minnesota
- B.A. - 05/1997
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Political Science
- Major: European Studies
- Minnesota, 2000
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2001
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2001
- Greg Peterson vs. Richfield Civil Service Commission, et al., 2013, Minn. Ct. of Appeals, A13-2337
- Barrister, Order of Veritas, Litigation Counsel of America
- Barrister, Order of Certus, Litigation Counsel of America
- Minnesota Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2006 - 2011
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2006
- North Star Lawyer, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Award, 2013
- The National Trust for Historic Preservation named litigation over Peavey Plaza one of the Top 10 Preservation victories in the country, 2014
- Litigation Council of America, Fellow, 2008
- MSBA Membership Committee, Chair, 2005 to 2007
- MSBA Membership Committee, Member, 2000
- MSBA Publications Committee, Member, 1998
- MSBA Law & Literature Committee, Member, 1999 to 2001
- MSBA Task Force on Law Student Membership, Co-Chair, 2001 to 2001
- MSBA Appellate Law Section, Member, 2005
- MSBA Appellate Law Section, Governing Council, 2009
- Minnesota Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure, Member, 2008
- MSBA Appellate Law Section, President, 2014 to 2015
- MSBA Pro Bono Unemployment Compensation Appeals Program, 2006 to 2009
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Managing Partner