Erik F. Hansen
- Civil Litigation
- Business Litigation
- Real Estate
Erik Hansen is the managing partner at Burns and Hansen, focusing on complex civil litigation, appeals, and business transactions.
Erik has over twenty years of experience litigating multi-million dollar, high-stakes complex civil litigation cases in state and federal court in Minnesota and across the country. Erik has successfully argued cases at every level of state court in Minnesota, as well as in multiple federal jurisdictions, both at the district and appellate court levels. Erik has received national awards and recognition for his advocacy on behalf of clients.
Erik is an established voice in the Minnesota appellate practice community. He brings a broad range of experience to his appellate practice, handling a variety of cases including commercial matters, civil appeals, and civil litigation issues. He has argued over eighty cases before state and federal appellate courts. Erik has served as the Chair of the Minnesota State Bar Association Appellate Law Section from 2014 to 2015. The Minnesota Supreme Court appointed Erik to an Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure on which he served for a decade. Erik is a frequent speaker for appellate continued legal education courses.
Erik routinely advises corporations and business as they grow and acquire multi-million dollar assets and real property. He assists businesses as they navigate complex regulatory and compliance issues, as well as addresses business disputes between owners. Erik works with business owners to mitigate risk and transition companies to new ownership. Erik has also assisted companies in registering and acquiring copyrights and trademarks, as well as litigated cases involving such intellectual property.
Known for his concise and direct style of advocacy, Erik provides prudent and candid advice to his clients at all levels of the legal system. Erik can identify the key issues in a case, determine a path forward, and either litigate or negotiate as necessary to reach his clients' goals.
Erik has been named a Super Lawyer or a Rising Star each year since 2006. In 2006, Erik was named as an Up & Coming Attorney by Minnesota Lawyer. In 2016, Erik was named as Attorney of the Year by Minnesota Lawyer. Erik has also been named a Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America.
Erik is a graduate of the University of Minnesota Law School and the University of Minnesota-Morris, where he majored in Political Science and European Studies. Erik received his law degree from the University of Minnesota.
In addition to his legal work, Erik volunteers in the community. Erik currently serves on the Rethos Board as the Main Street Committee Chair, where he advises on efforts to preserve historic buildings. Erik also serves on the Mitchell Lake Association Board.
In his spare time, Erik coaches youth soccer, spends time with his friends and family, and enjoys travel and hiking.
- University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- J.D. - 05/2000
- Honors: Dean's List
- University of Minnesota - Morris, Morris, Minnesota
- B.A. - 05/1997
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: With Distinction
- Major: Political Science
- Major: European Studies
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota, 2001
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2001
- Minnesota, 2000
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
- R.P. Air, Inc. v. Great Gulf Corp., , A20-0721, 2021 WL 957322 (Minn. App. Mar. 15, 2021)
- St. Paul Park Refining Co. LLC v. Domeier, 950 N.W.2d 547 (Minn. 2020)
- Matter of Tillman Infrastructure LLC, A19-1824, 2020 WL 4432034, at *2 (Minn. App. Aug. 3, 2020)
- Quality Companies, LLC v. Albertson, 2019 WL 3886875 (Minn. App. Aug. 19, 2019)
- Peterson v. Richfield Civ. Serv. Commn., 864 N.W.2d 340 (Minn. 2015)
- Greg Peterson vs. Richfield Civil Service Commission, et al., 2013, Minn. Ct. of Appeals, A13-2337
- The Preservation Alliance of Minnesota and the Cultural Landscape Foundation for themselves and on behalf of the State of Minnesota, Plaintiffs, v. CITY OF MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota, Defendant, 2012 WL 2488149 (Minn. Dist. Ct.)
- Barrister, Order of Veritas, Litigation Counsel of America
- Barrister, Order of Certus, Litigation Counsel of America
- Minnesota Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2006 - 2011
- Up and Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2006
- North Star Lawyer, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Award, 2013
- The National Trust for Historic Preservation named litigation over Peavey Plaza one of the Top 10 Preservation victories in the country, 2014
- Litigation Council of America, Fellow, 2008
- MSBA Membership Committee, Chair, 2005 to 2007
- MSBA Membership Committee, Member, 2000
- MSBA Publications Committee, Member, 1998
- MSBA Law & Literature Committee, Member, 1999 to 2001
- MSBA Task Force on Law Student Membership, Co-Chair, 2001 to 2001
- MSBA Appellate Law Section, Member, 2005
- MSBA Appellate Law Section, Governing Council, 2009
- Minnesota Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Appellate Procedure, Member, 2008
- MSBA Appellate Law Section, President, 2014 to 2015
- MSBA Pro Bono Unemployment Compensation Appeals Program, 2006 to 2009
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
Current Employment Position
- Managing Partner